Legacy Logistics Earns EPA Smartway Designation for Commitment to Sustainability
Legacy Logistics is a proud member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) SwartWay program. In September, we earned a renewal of our company’s SmartWay designation for enhancing our operations to help reduce pollution. The EPA SmartWay program helps companies like Legacy Logistics improve supply chain sustainability with tools and strategies to measure, benchmark, and enhance freight transportation efficiency.
The freight transportation industry plays an essential role in global trade and in supporting the health of the U.S. economy. To protect the positive impacts of our industry, while reducing the negative impacts on public health and the environment, continued investment in the future sustainability of the logistics industry is needed. Legacy Logistics is proud to help lead the industry towards that goal.
According to the EPA:
- Between 1990 and 2013, freight activity grew by over 50% and is projected to nearly double again by 2040.
- Greenhouse gas emissions from transportation account for 28% of total U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, making it the largest contributor in the U.S.
- Experts project that by 2050, global freight transport emissions will surpass those from passenger vehicles.
What is the EPA SmartWay Partnership?
The SmartWay certification program was launched in 2004. By improving collaboration between government and business, the program is designed to reduce the cost of transporting goods in the most sustainable way. SmartWay works with partner shipping companies and freight carriers to track fuel consumption, improve performance, and benchmark operations.
Since the inception of the program, Smartway partners have avoided emitting 134M tons of pollution. Additionally, the program has helped partners save 280M barrels of oil since 2004.
A comprehensive list of current EPA SmartWay Partners can be found here. To learn how your company can become a SmartWay Shipper, SmartWay Carrier, or SmartWay Logistics Company, visit the EPA website here.
SmartWay Partner: Legacy Logistics
Legacy Logistics is dedicated to making a positive impact on the industry by helping to lead the way in streamlining shipping operations, using less fuel, and generating less pollution. We are proud of our SmartWay designation and commitment to:
- Credible efficiency tracking: The EPA’s emissions calculating tools are considered the “gold standard” of fuel efficiency. Certified companies in the freight transportation sector ensure practices are consistent with industry best practices.
- Demonstrated commitment: Smartway industry partners are committed to making decisions based on environmental metrics that matter.
- Measurable results: You can’t fix what you don’t measure. By measuring and benchmarking efficiency performance, companies can track results and make improvements on a year-to-year basis.
- Continuous education: The certification provides access to training opportunities and case studies to help companies keep improving.
- Industry recognition: The EPA showcases companies that demonstrate green freight best practices. Partnering with SmartWay certified companies helps reduce emissions and protect public health.
At Legacy Logistics, we are proud to do our part to minimize the impact of emissions on the environment and public health. We recognize the importance of being an industry leader on this important issue and in working together to protect our team members, customers, communities, and environment.